Discover the Best of Oregon:
Its Coastline, Cascades, and Crater Lake
Next Trips: Sat-Sat, Aug. 4-11 and Aug. 11-18, 2018
$2,585Trip Rating: Strenuous Maximum Daily mileage: 6-10
Terrain: Mountainous hikes with rocks and roots
Elevation gains: Up to 1,000 feet - altitudes higher than 5,000 feet
*** NOTE: The 2018 trips are filled. We encourage you to sign up for our waiting list. No deposit is required for the wait list. *** (* See details )
Explore The best of Oregon
- Explore Americas deepest lake: sapphire-hued Crater Lake, shimmering within ancient volcano rims.
- Stay 2 nights at Crater Lakes charming inn, rated the Northwests finest national-park lodge.
- Hike along Oregons wild, wonderful coastland.
- Stay 4 nights at a lovely, oceanfront resort, with 10 miles of uninterrupted beach for morning and evening walks, panoramic ocean views from your private balcony, and ocean sounds to lull you asleep.
- Look for resident gray whales close to shore, and watch sea lions and seals in their natural habitat.
- Hike through Oregons Cascade Mountains to magnificent waterfalls, and watch salmon on their journey along the Cascades scenic Umpqua River.
- Buckle up for an unforgettable dune buggy ride on the worlds highest oceanfront sand dunes.
- Explore tidal pools for sea stars and sea urchins, hermit crabs, and other ocean treasures.
- Horseback ride through the Pacific surf at sunset.
- Enjoy warm camaraderie with 11 other fun women who love the outdoors.
Arrive in Eugene, OR, and enjoy dinner and the evening along the pretty river walk.
Drive through the picturesque Cascade Mountains, stopping to admire stunning Salt Creek Falls and to lunch along a gorgeous mountain lake. Arrive at Crater Lake Lodge, perched on a rim overlooking its sapphire-colored namesake. This exquisite national-park lodge offers breathtaking views and nostalgic warmth. Watch the sun set from rocking chairs that line a grand balcony overlooking the lake.
Join us for a terrific morning hike to Garfield Peak, with its pretty wildflowers and even better vistas! In the afternoon, take a ranger-led boat tour that circles Americas deepest lake, discovering Wizard Island, the "ghost ship", and more hidden treasures as we learn about the lakes amazing history. (The 2-mile, round-trip hike to the dock will also "wow" you with unbeatable lake views.) After our boating adventure, well lunch at Crater Lake and then enjoy free time for a rim hike, visitor-center shopping, or relaxing at the lodge. End your day by watching the sunset over the lake and the Cascade Mountains.
Explore the Cascade Mountains along the Umpqua River, considered one of the states most beautiful drives. Well hike 3 miles to five magnificent waterfalls, and eat lunch in the lovely gardens at Steamboat Inn. Then, settle into our resort along the Pacific Ocean, with 10 miles of uninterrupted beach to walk, ocean views from your private balcony, and ocean sounds to lull you asleep. Share an informal dinner in the leaders room and then enjoy time to walk the beach.
Drive along the pristine, rugged coastline to Cape Perpetua. There, explore 800-foot-high lookouts, scan for whales, and hike 2-3 miles to the capes tidal pools, Devils Churn, Cooks Chasm. Well also explore the wonderful tide pools at Strawberry Hills with a naturalist. On the way home, visit picturesque Heceta Head Lighthouse, to enjoy its great views and history. Dine Wednesday evening at a favorite restaurant in Florences Oldtown, housed in a former railroad depot.
Heres a free day to walk the beach, relax on your ocean-view balcony, and enjoy two unforgettable coastal adventures. Dune-buggy the highest oceanfront dunes in the world with a professional dune driver. And maybe youve dreamed of riding a horse along the Pacific surf as the sun sets over the ocean. Make it happen on this memory-making horseback ride (that even nervous riders will love).
Our 3.5-mile hike offers superb views of wildlife, ocean-sculpted sandstone rocks, and offshore reefs visible only from the trail. Look for resident gray whales that frequent Cape Aragos idyllic setting. Spot colonies of harbor seals and sea lions basking in the sun. Walk through Shore Acres on our way to Sunset Bay, one of Oregons most scenic gems. Here, beautiful sand beaches in shallow coves are protected by towering sandstone bluffs, creating an ideal setting for an ocean dip. In the evening, well enjoy a memorable last dinner together.
Return home with new memories, new friends, and a renewed confidence and love for the outdoors.
The trip cost includes:
- 2 days and nights at charming Crater Lake Lodge , in deluxe lakeside rooms (double occupancy)
- 4 days and nights at Driftwood Shores Resort, with miles of uninterrupted beach, oceanfront rooms, private balconies, indoor heated pool/spa, and kitchens, among other amenities.
- 1 night in a deluxe hotel in Eugene, close to the river walk.
- Guided hikes by experienced, knowledgeable leaders.
- 2-hour morning boat tour of unforgettable Crater Lake, narrated by a park ranger.
- Complimentary breakfasts while at Driftwood Shores Resort.
- Guided discussions that foster warm camaraderie and help you view nature and yourself in new ways.
- Transportation throughout the week.
- Shuttles to and from Eugenes airport, within designated time frames.
- Park entrance fees.
- Informational booklet packed with suggestions on what to bring; fun facts about the park and its history, weather, and wildlife; and hiking tips
- Online photos of the trip.
* Rates are for double occupancy. Solo room upgrades are an additional $850 and dependent on room availability.
**Because the dune buggy adventure and horseback ride are optional, we have not included their cost in this price. Final payment is due June 1, 2018.Registration form
533 Summit Street
Barrington, IL 60010
-OR-Use our convenient On-line Registration.
Questions? Feel free to contact Carol Ruhter at 847-381-9374 or TrailboundTrips@gmail.com
Want to thank you for one of the most memorable trips of my life. Every day was full of new adventures, from the first-class accommodations, restaurants and unbelievable sights to the inspirational, caring group of women. You all truly made me feel so welcome - it was an awesome experience. I look forward to traveling with you again! ~"Sunny"
You did it again ~ another chapter of adventure ~ "under-commit, over-deliver." Thank you for giving us new friends, laughter and wonderful memories in spectacular surroundings. You enrich my lifes journey with your passion, enthusiasm, and faith. ~"Blaze"
Just wanted to thank you again for the wonderful hiking experience in Oregon. I never realized that Oregon was so beautiful; thank you for opening my eyes to the wonders it holds. You do such an excellent job planning and coordinating our travels; you make it look easy. ~"Rockin Mama"
It was a wonderful week. Had such a good time! ~"Wonder Woman"
I had a wonderful time! This trip really filled my soul with the beauty of nature and the joyous human spirit shared by each of the women! Until we meet again...Hugs, ~ "Indian Paintbrush "
What a wonderful trip: Every day was fantastic. Ive done other trips with Carol but this was by far the best. Mostly because of the wonderful women I have as new friends and also the fantastic, holy places we saw. ~"Nell "
This past week in Oregon was better than I ever imagined it would be. I had a wonderful experience that I will remember and treasure for years to come. ~ "Summer Snow "
This was one fabulous experience that will be hard to repeat. ~ "Sunshine "
Oregon fed my heart and soul--was so very good for me to share the wondrous beauty with others who truly love it, too. It revives and renews me and I have really needed that so much. ~ "Indy"