In the heart of Michigans Upper Peninsula - tucked between the great lakes of Superior and Michigan unforgettable fun beckons:
- Harness and mush your own dogsled team for a day-long adventure
- Snowshoe and cross-country ski in the pristine Northwoods
- Hike to magnificent icefalls
- Explore unforgettable Tahquamenon Falls State Park.
- Gaze at millions of stars on a night hike thorugh the Northwoods.
- Board our luxury motor-coach at 7 am in Palatine. Then relax for the 7-hour trip with a movie, nap, good book, and getting to know your fellow adventurers. Enoy lunch at Culvers
- Settle into your comfy room at the Quality Inn in Newberry, the moose capital of Michigan.
- Savor a delicious, healthy Northwoods dinner catered to our hotel.
- After dinner, Tasha, owner of Natures Kennel, will talk about dogsledding (including numerous Iditarods), describe your upcoming adventure, and answer questions.
Enjoy the Inns complimentary hot, hearty breakfast buffet.
Explore Tahquamenon Falls: Well spend the day together at Tahquamenon Falls State Park, 50,000 acres of Upper Peninsula (UP) wilderness. The scenic Tahquamenon River was made famous in Longfellows poem, Hiawatha; its beauty will make it legendary for you, too. Well have multiple guides for our activities, so you can go at your own pace.
- Hike Take an hour long hike to fantastic ice formations sculpted by Tahquamenon Falls, the 2nd largest waterfall east of the Mississippi.
- XC-Ski Cross-country ski for 2 hours through lovely snow-fringed, old-growth forests to the phenomenal falls.
- Snowshoe Enjoy a 2-hour snowshoe through th epicturesque lower falls area.
- Eat at the park pub Savor dinner at the parks yummy restaurant and pub, decorated in Northwoods style and managed by the granddaughter of the man who once owned this land.
- Explore the woods at twilight Snowshow through the quiet woods at night on a trail illuminated by old-fashioned kerosene lanterns and starlight
Bring your own (or rental) XC skis with you to the UP; there are no rentals there. If you have snowshoes, bring those, too. While the park loans snowshoes for free while youre in the park, bringing your own will enable you to use them outside of the park as well."Thank you for an incredible 5 days of adventure! I cant wait to go back and do it again next year!"
"Thank you for another wonderful trip. I?m still smiling." ~Goldie
Enjoy the Inns complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
Group 1: Dog-Sled! Half of our group will dogsled from 8:30am - 3pm at Natures Kennel, owned and operated by Ed and Tasha Stielstra. They have two sweet kids &$133; and 140 happy canine kids, including Iditarod racing veterans. Ed is an 8-time Iditarod race finisher; Tasha also runs long-distance races. As part of our day-long adventure, learn the basics of harnessing the dogs and driving the sled. Then, experience the thrill of driving your own team of 4-5 dogs on a 10-mile ride, while following experienced musher guides. Youll be on the trail about 1 hour.
While some ladies are mushing, others will have a chance to hike through the pretty Northwoods and play with the friendly Alaskan huskies back at the kennel.
Enjoy a yummy lunch of hearty home-cooked soups, hot drinks , and dessert around a crackling fire. (A comfy warming house and washroom are also open to us all day.) After lunch, the two groups at Natures Kennel will swap activities.
Other dogsled options: Opt to ride in a guides sled rather than drive your own. OR you can opt to ride in a guides sled AND drive your own sled... do one before lunch and the other after lunch.
Group 2: Explore a UP hidden trasure: While half of our group dogsleds, others will explore the Eben Ice Caves in the 4,500-acre Rock River Canyon Wilderness. Bus through the UPs lovely winterscape, hike 1 1/2 miles through the woods and along a scenic river, and discover spectacular 60foot icefalls, spires, and vertical ice sheets. Wander through and behind this wonderland of formations cascading from rocky outcrops. Lunch provided on the bus.
Pamper your muscles. After our days adventures get a 1/2 hour massage at our inn. Well schedule appointments with two registered massage therapists.
Dine in! Kick back on this casual evening, get to know one another better, and share stories of theay while munching pizza and Caesars salad with grilled chicken. Feel free to bring your own beverages."Your trips push me to do things I didnt think I could!! And theres always such a wonderful group of Wild Women who are open to adventure! Thank you!" ~Hiking Stick
Enjoy the inns complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
Swap.Our two groups will swap activities.Group 1 will head to Eben Ice Caves while Group 2 dogsleds. Our group of dogsled alumni will set out for a 20-mile dogsled at Natures Kennel.
A magical evening. Well dine at Chamberlins Ole Forest Inn, a gracious country inn on Big Manistique Lake. Built in the 1800s, this inn has the best food and ambience around, plus fun live music. Simply magical!
Enjoy the inns complimentary breakfast buffet.
At 9AM, well fill the bus with adventurous women, laughter, great stories, and friendship and return to Palatine by about 4:00 pm. Well stop at Culvers for lunch on the ride home.
Standard cost includes:
- Lodging for 4 nights (double occupancy)
- Luxury motor coach throughout our trip
- 6 1/2-hour dogsled adventure
- A trip to unforgettable Eben Ice Caves
- Fun-packed day at Tahquamenon Falls
- Guided hiking, snowshoeing, and XC skiing
- Guided twilight hike
- Catered dinners Wednesday and Friday
- Yummy lunches each day
- Hot breakfast buffets each morning
- 2 Trailbound guides throughout the trip
- Snacks & water througout the trip
- Snowshoe loans at Tahquamenon(or bring your own)
- Fact-filled packet with area info, trip tips, packing list, and more
- Mesh backpack
- Hundreads of online photo memories
- Free parking for your car while were away
- Park permits and entrance fees
- Gratuities for the bus driver, dogsled guides, XC ski and snowshoe guides, and hotel staff.
- Amazing memories and friendships
- "I did it!" bragging rights
This trip fills quickly. Reserve your spot now.
- It was a winter fantasy. I loved the beauty and fun of snowshoeing. The dogsledding was fabulous. The scenery was spectacular! The trip was an unforgettable experience. Thank you for all your efforts. I am blessed to be one of your travelers. ~Indy
- It was fun to try new activities like dog-sledding, snow-shoeing, and just traveling with a group of people I didnt know. Carol and the other leaders are very good at creating a safe space where everyone is valued and nobody is judged. This sets the perfect tone for exploring new activities. ~Quetico
- I continue to be amazed by the vitality and strength of character of the women I meet on these trips.
- No matter what I do with Trailbound, I have a great time. Keep doing these trips. They feed my soul. ~Little Bit
- The trip gave me a new appreciation of the beauty of nature and the enjoyment of a simple way of life. ~GiGi
- I am lucky to have become a member of this group and the new adventures you have opened up for me, and for all of us. It was beautiful. I loved every minute. ~BW
- This was a wonderful experience I will cherish forever. ~Yoga Girl
- This trip exceeded my expectations; I could not have anticipated such a well-planned trip. I learned to enjoy winter again! ~Anonymous
- Thank you for making my 1st adventure trip with the "wild women" a great experience. I just loved getting to know so many wonderful women sharing stories, experiences, knowledge, laughs, games, and just plain FUN! The support I felt from you leaders from beginning to the end was so inspiring. I cant stop talking about the trip to friends and family and can now check off mushing and snow shoeing from my bucket list along with drinking glogg out of plastic cups, eating venison chili, meeting day-old Alaskan Husky pups, and dancing with an 80-year-old fellow "wild woman." Thanks for the memories. ~Musher
- Passing through forests that reflect the ages, I felt my little spirit is but a brief visitor. ~Jet
- My favorite part of this adventure was getting to be a part of such a diverse group of women, all of whom were brought together by one activity dog-sledding but who gained friendship and laughter in the trip. ~DP
- I met wonderful women who were great inspiration on how to embrace life. ~Tree Hugger
- I smile every time I think about this trip ~MN
- I just want to thank you for such a great trip to the UP. It was really great and well planned. I thought you did a great job of keeping the expenses relatively low. I think one of the hardest things I run into as a wife/spouse/woman is spending money on myself, but I can tell you it was money well spent. Ill look forward to seeing you all again on another adventure! ~Mountain Mama
- I am in awe! Im so glad to have found you and Trailbound Trips. Cant wait to plan our next outing. ~Lark
- I miss being in the UP very much! Thanks to you for the amazing opportunity. ~Merilee N.
- Again, thank you for the opportunity for such a wonderful experience...so well planned, such wonderful company, and so many unforgettable experiences! We certainly had the chance to enjoy life to the fullest these past several days, thanks to the opportunity you provided. You and your organization are truly a blessing!! ~Pat J.
- Awesome trip! Thank you so much for a wonderful time! Trailbound really knows how to throw a party! ~Trail Runner
- Still on a natural high from such an amazing time!! My husband wonders if Im ever going to stop talking about it - I doubt it !! ~Gram Cracker
- I had great time meeting you and my new "wild women" friends in the U.P. It was so amazingly beautiful, exhilarating, and heart-warming even in the sub-zero temps! You do a great job organizing all the events that created such a wonderful adventure and will touch the hearts and souls of all who challenged themselves to participate. ~Pink
- A truly awesome trip! ~Sierra
- Thank you for such a wonderful adventure in the UP, it was the BEST! I was telling my son how you have opened new doors of adventure for me. I am so happy you and Trailbound came into my life. You always plan the best of trips. Thank you. ~Frisky Filly
- What an absolute joy to go on a Trailbound Trip. Thank you for everything. ~Bluebonnet
- This was such an incredible experience! Cant wait to do it again. ~Pat J.
- Year #2 of dogsledding with you Excellent! Gets better and better all the time. ~Musher
- Thanks for a great trip the dogsledding was unforgettable. ~Georgia
- You really spread the joy of traveling and think of everything! I cant wait to go on my next trip with you. ~Dances with Dogs
- How cool was that? ~Fireball PI
- You throw an awesome trip so wonderful! ~MooseTrax