Great River Getaway!
Next Trip: Tues-Thur, Oct. 3-5 OR Fri-Sun, Oct. 6-8,2017
Cost: $155 plus trip expenses* (* See details )
*** NOTE: The 2017 trips are filled. We encourage you to sign up for our waiting list. No deposit is required for the wait list. ***
Where the Wisconsin River joins the mighty Mississippi
we invite you to join us for Trailbounds Great River Getaway!
- Stand atop 500-foot bluffs and be amazed at breathtaking forests of reds and golds.
- Hike the "other" Pikes Peak the highest point along the Mississippi River.
- Trek through crisp autumn air and golden forests in Iowa and Wisconson.
- Discover Native American effigy mounds, and learn their origin and significance.
- Kayak the Yellow River, one of Iowas most remote and scenic waterways.
- Relax on a Mississippi riverboat cruise.
- Relax. Reflect. Recharge. Repeat.
Noon: Meet at Wisconsins scenic Wyalusing State Park. This 2,600-acre park perches above, and along, the confluence of the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers. It boasts sweeping bluff-top views of autumn foliage and the mighty rivers. Well enjoy a trail lunch together there.
12:45 3:15 pm: Our 2 mile trail meanders from the bluff to the canoe landing. This hike has it all...breathtaking views of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers, fall colors, majestic forests, eagles, and Native American effigy mounds.
4 pm: Settle into your comfy room at AmericInn Hotel
4:30-6:30 pm: Stroll across the street for a sunset riverboat cruise along the Mississippis pretty backwaters and towering bluffs. Like us, river wildlife relish early evenings peace, so we might glimpse deer, beaver, otter, eagles, great blue heron, and more! The on-board naturalist will tell us about the area history, wildlife, the river and its ecology. Feel free to bring snacks and drinks. There are restrooms on board, indoor and outdoor seating, and heaters if its chilly.
7 pm: Relax and enjoy hearty soup and pie in a private room back at our hotel.When my daughter saw the pictures from our getaway, her comment was "OMG Mom, you look so happy!" And then: "What an awesome group!" Thanks for all you do to organize and lead these wonderful trips." ~ "Last Minute"
8:30 am: Head out for a great day at Yellow River State Park, 8,500-acres of gorgeous golden woods and expansive vistas. Well follow the gentle bluff trail downhill for 2.5 miles through old-growth forests to Little Paint Creek, where well have cars waiting.
12-12:30 pm: Lunches are always better outdoors near a stream, which is where well enjoy ours!
1-4 pm: Next adventure? You choose...
- Kayak with a Trailbound guide down the scenic Yellow River between limestone cliffs, and through forests, eagle country, and farmland. We kayak the easiest 5-mile stretch, which is mostly flat-water with some Class I (smallest) rapids. Reserve now, but you can decide for sure and pay that day, once you know the weather.
- Explore antique and gift shops on your own at The Cannery in Prairie du Chien or Turkey River Mall in nearby Elkader, IA.
- Time-travel to 19th-century Victorian splendor at Villa Louis in Prairie du Chien. Costumed interpreters conduct house tours, sharing stories of the Dousman family, the homes belongings and its architecture. On this 25-acre site, youll also see Wisconsins sole 1812 battlefield, archaeological remains of Fort Crawford, and a National Landmark fur trade museum.
- Explore Spook Cave. Travel by small fishing boat and guide through a beautiful cave, which is a constant 47 degrees. Narrow passages on this 40-minute trip require you to lean forward in some places to avoid head bumps.
6:30: Gather for dinner and the days stories at the local favorite, Ft. Mulligans Grillpub. Youll like its history and relaxed ambience as much as the yummy food."Everything about the Great River Getaway was wonderful! I loved this trip. I enjoyed the hikes and met new ladies, it was easy on the pocketbook, and the weather was perfect. I especially liked the kayaking because I could challenge & overcome my fears. Kudos to Trailbound Trips for another spectacular getaway!" ~ "CCC"
8:30: Pack your car and head out for Effigy Mounds State Park. This park offers spectacular views of the Mississippi River, and is famous for its Native American effigy mounds. We?ll hike the 2-mile Fire Point Trail, which starts uphill steeply, and then levels off.
11:00 11:30: Head to Pikes Peak State Park, just across Iowas border. Yep, same "Pike," different peak. Munch a trail lunch there
11:30 - 1:30PM: This gorgeous 2.5 mile hike at Pikes Peak State Park treats us to a wispy waterfall, Native American mounds, gently rolling hills, vistas, and golden trails through towering forests.
1:30PM:Head home, filled with memories, rejuvenated spirit, and a heart warmed with friendship.
- Indoor heated pool, hot tub, fitness center and massage chair
- Complimentary hot breakfast beginning at 6 am, with made-to-order omelets
- High-speed internet and guest laundry facilities
- 24-hour coffee bar, also serving cappuccino and hot chocolate
- Your room has 2 queen beds, mini-fridge, coffee pot, hair dryer, shampoo/lotion
The hotel is located along the big river at 130 S. Main Street, Praire du Chien. Check-in time is 3 pm; check-out is 11 am. We?ve reserved your room under Trailbound Trips? room block. When you check in, simply put your room under your own credit card. Rooms, with tax, for the 2-night stay are $378.88/rm during the week ($189.44/pp); and $412.33/rm on the weekend ($206.17/pp).
The 2-night price for solo king rooms is $356.58/weekdays and $434.63/weekends.
The non-refundable registration fee includes:
- Two experience guides throughout the getaway
- 4 guided hikes through autumn beauty
- Assistance on the fun river paddle, and payment for its shuttle
- Relaxing 2-hour sunset riverboat cruise, and tips for cruise staff
- 2 hot, yummy breakfasts at the hotel
- Catered dinner of hearty soup and delicious pie at the hotel
- All trip arrangements
- Info packet with itineraries, driving directions, area info & more
- State park permits
- Online photos of your adventures
- Memories and smiles for a lifetime
Please note: Registration cost is non-refundable; it does not cover lodging, trail lunches, one dinner, $25 fee for optional kayaking, state park parking sticker, or housekeeping tips.
Rooms, with tax, for the 2-night stay are $378.88/rm during the week ($189.44/pp); and $412.33/rm on the weekend ($206.17/pp).
- Thanks for another wonderful getaway filled with adventure, challenge, fun, and great women. I dont know how you manage to do it, but every trip with you is wonderful. ~Skigal
- Thanks for a magical weekend. It was such a great change-up from everyday life and labors! The positive and inspiring leaders help us try new experiences that we might not otherwise have made time for. I look forward to the next outing! ~Margaret
- When my daughter saw the pictures from our getaway, her comment was "OMG Mom, you look so happy!" And then: "What an awesome group!" Thanks for all you do to organize and lead these wonderful trips. ~Last Minute
- Thank you for a wonderful trip! You work so hard to keep us ladies happy. The trip was great and EVERYTHING was my favorite! ~Frisky Filly
- I loved our getaway! Thanks for always helping me regroup with Trailbound trips. Every minute was great. ~Blue Jay
- I just want to thank you for a wonderful trip!! So nice to see all the women, really enjoyed each of them. ~Navigator
- I loved this trip! Everything about it was wonderful. I enjoyed the hikes and met new ladies, it was easy on the pocketbook, and the weather was perfect. I especially liked the kayaking because I could challenge my fears. Kudos to Trailbound Trips for another spectacular get-away! ~CCC